GOAL: To establish a procedure for dealing with students who are suspected of using, possessing or selling drugs or alcohol.
- Students having the odor of illegal drugs or alcohol, exhibiting behaviours of being under the influence of a drug or alcohol, possessing or selling drugs or alcohol will be brought to the office to meet with the principal and /or vice-principal and another teacher.
- The student will be searched, and the student’s locker will be searched by the vice-principal, principal or designate.
- Upon confirmation of a drug issue, the student shall be suspended and will follow the re-admission plan through Cochrane Guidance. (See below.)
- The student’s parent/guardian will be informed of the issue and circumstance.
- Any student caught in possession will be referred to the School Resource Officer who will then determine if criminal charges will be laid. The student will be suspended and may be referred to an alternate program depending on the situation. The student’s parent/guardian will be informed.
- Students in possession of drugs at school will be suspended for three days and will follow the readmission plan through Cochrane Guidance.
- Any student charged by the Regina City Police will be under review as far as eligibility to remain at Cochrane.
Guidance Re-admission Plan:
Re-admission of any of the above students must be in the company of a parent or guardian and re-admission shall take place through the Guidance Office. Any student suspended for drug/alcohol abuse shall also be subjected to the Cochrane Addiction Screening Tool (CAST) and a formal introduction to both our Addictions Service Counselor and our Regina City Police Resource Officer.